There are approximately 537 software products that call themselves some version of "marketing automation software". It's a highly competitive and lucrative where you'll find dozens of tools that do something similar to many others.
With so many to choose from, how can you decide which is the right one for your business?
In this article, I'll explain what I mean by "marketing automation software" and list some of the best marketing automation software I've used, or that my teams have used.
What Is Marketing Automation Software?
In its simplest form, marketing automation software is a platform that helps you automate your marketing tasks.
Marketing automation tools do anything from email marketing to social media management to lead capture, lead nurturing, and much more.
10 Best Marketing Automation Software
These 10 tools are market leaders in the marketing automation space:
- Zoho Marketing Automation
- SAS Institute
Why Use Marketing Automation Software?
There are plenty of reasons to use marketing automation software, which is why most companies use some form of it, and why the marketing automation market is predicted to grow at a 9.8% CAGR through 2027.
Some of the key benefits of marketing automation software include:
- Increased efficiency: Automating your marketing tasks can help you save time and streamline your workflow.
- Increased ROI: Automated campaigns are more effective than manual campaigns, resulting in higher ROI.
- Greater reach: Automation allows you to reach a larger audience more effectively.
- Greater personalization at scale: Automation can enable you to send personalized messages, resulting in higher engagement rates, and it can enable you to do this at scale.
- Better capabilities for tracking & analysis: Marketing automation software can help you to track your results, so that you can see what's working and what's not.
How Much Does Marketing Automation Software Usually Cost?
The cost of marketing automation software can vary depending on the features and functionality you need.
Typically, pricing ranges from $50 to $500 per month, but at an enterprise level you might be looking at tools that cost tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on the license you need and the sophistication of the tool.
Types of Marketing Automation Software
When it comes to marketing automation software, there are a few main types: email marketing software, social media software, and marketing analytics software.
Email marketing software helps you create and send newsletters, coupons, and other promotional materials to your customers.
Social media management software allows you to schedule and publish posts on multiple social media platforms, and track how well they're performing.
Marketing analytics software gives you insights into how your marketing campaigns are performing, so you can make changes and improve your results.
Some tools specialize in one of these functions, while larger suites contain applications within one tool, so that these functions are housed under one roof.
When buying marketing automation software, it's important to consider the features that are most important to you—a tool that automates your email campaigns will inherently be different than something that helps you manage social media campaigns.
But here are a few of the main features I look for, regardless of the software's function:
- CRM integration: Some marketing automation tools are built into CRMs, but if they're not, you want something that integrates easily with your CRM (Salesforce, etc).
- Advanced reporting and intelligence features: Many tools can help automation aspects of marketing production or outreach, but the best tools will offer advanced analysis features that let you track your campaigns and easily understand what's working and what's not so you can make informed decisions.
When looking for marketing automation software, it's important to consider the features that are the most important to you and your business.